Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Singapore?


Random post about homeschooling. If you do not homeschool or don't care what curriculum we are using or don't want to see pictures of Corwin, then why are you reading my blog?

Anywho I am a bit torn on the subject of math. I think the truth is that there are several amazing programs out there and the important thing is to find one that works for you and stick to it. We are using Singapore math because I like the word problems and he likes to activities. We used Horizon last year which uses a spiral approach but was essentially a worksheet with a bunch of math problems on it. Singapore incorporates math crosswords, codes and other fun games. See I suppose now that I got that out on paper.....err interpaper? I realize that this one is a keeper. I do still supplement with math games and sometimes we start with flash cards or timed math facts worksheets just to drill facts but all in all this is working for us.

Now one of the initial reasons I decided to homeschool originally was because when I observed Corwin in a classroom setting (he went to kindergarten for one semester) I noticed he had the attention span of a hummingbird on crack. He takes after his daddy :) Seriously all the kids would be doing some worksheet while he zoned out and then when it was time to move on the teacher would quickly tell him the answer so he could fill in the blank. I was less than impressed. So anywho, we don't do a lot of sitting at the kitchen table school. Actually I have found that Corwin works best on individual assignments like math in the trampoline. Makes perfect sense to me. So math usually starts with some hands on learning with manipulatives or games and then we go through the textbook lesson together (which I didn't get a picture of cause I was busy teaching it) and then he hangs out in the trampoline to do his workbook work.


"CORWIN, FOCUS!!"





" I'm working on it! Can I gotothebathroomgetadrinkofwatertakeabreak?"


1 comment:

Wmoon said...

I so understand the trampoline bit! We do what we have to do, right? I my daughter is the same way and she would be the one in left field if she went to public school.