Monday, November 29, 2010

All About Spelling

So I want to do a blog series on the curriculum we use for homeschooling so I can look back when it is time to buy for next year and know what I want to continue and what I want to change.

My absolute favorite curriculum we use is All About Spelling. It is a very methodical system that uses tiles and cards to teach the spelling rules.



As you can see, it is a very hands on curriculum which is a big two thumbs up for my lack of focus son. I started this year with level one even though it is super easy for Corwin but I wanted to make sure he had a solid foundation and we covered all the rules. He is moving through it pretty quickly though which has actually been good for his confidence. He will start level two in January. Faith is doing the same work at a slower pace. I really have to remember to slow down with her and do a lot more extra work and review. She naturally tries to read whole word instead of phonetically and is prone to guess instead of sounding out the word so this program has been amazing for her as well. I love how the program starts with teaching all the sounds to all the letters up front. There is a .cd-rom the kids (or parents) can use to make sure they are saying all the sounds correctly.
Along with the tiles for the dry erase board, the curriculum comes with flash cards with phonograms, key words, sounds and spelling words. I bought two sets which has been helpful in keeping up with which child needs to review what and what chapter they are on. A more organized mother would probably only need one set ;p Oh and I have read that in higher levels, there is a jail for words that don't follow the rules.


I like to work on spelling one on one so the other child usually works on Explode the Code during spelling time or does click n kids online. Please pardon her crazy hair in the picture. I try to only brush it on days we go to church. It's the little things that help keep me sane ;p

No comments: