Thursday, March 18, 2010

2010 homeschooling curriculum

It is time to start nailing down curriculum for the 2010 school year so I can start looking for the best deals. I love the search but I hate second guessing. We will continue with The Well Trained Mind which is a Classical Christian Education model. I don't remember how I came upon this book but it works for us and we love it.




For Handwriting we will stick with A reason for handwriting because I love that it is scripture based.


We will also be using Writing with Ease for dictation and copywork

In grammer we will continue with First Language Lessons . I love that it is scripted and promotes copywork, narration, dictation, picture study and memorization skills

And Spelling will be All about Spelling . I like that this program teaches rules and doesn't just give weekly lists to memorize and regurgitate



Next up is math. We are actually probably going to purchase several programs as I can't really decide. I love the spiral approach of Horizons math and that is what we used this year so Corwin and Faith are used to it and like it but I think Singapore's Primary Math is a more rigorous program. We will also supplement with games and flash cards of course. Surprisingly Corwin enjoys flash cards. That must come from Scott's genes.


Science will be Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy but we will start it in May to prepare for a trip to the McDonald Observatory at the end of June so I am not sure what we will study when it is over. Did I mention we school year round. I figure if those kids don't study for three months then we will spend the first semester reviewing the last semester. Anywho, isn't this book pretty..........

Next up is Latin. Now I know some of you may be asking why I am teaching my kids Latin when I have been bustin my seater to learn Greek. Well My husband took Latin and has decided I should teach them Latin first and my own traitorous Greek professor agrees with him! Ah well, 2nd grade will be a fun intro with Song School Latin and the mascot is a monkey. You can not go wrong when monkeys are teaching your kids.
 History will be our all time fave, The Story of the World Volume 2 The middle ages. This is really one of Corwins favorite subjects and our read alouds usually correlate with the time period we are studying. Like right now we are in Volume 1 Ancients studying Greece and our read aloud is The Iliad retold by Nick McCarty. Corwin likes to act out the battle scenes with blocks. It is hilarious.
And we will be doing A Childs Geography

Art will probably be Meet the Masters

I actually do not have a Bible curriculum picked out yet. I don't like the one we are currently using and I haven't decided what I want to cover yet. This year has been a broad overview of the whole Bible and we are using Route 56.  I will probably go with a boxed curriculum for this like Abeka or BJU.

Anywho that is what I have so far :)



2 comments:

M J said...

do you find time for ALL THAT???

JMe said...

we don't do all this in one day. Some things are once a week like science, history, art and latin. Actually history ends up being everyday because he loves it. And we usually read a science book everyday again because he just loves it. It looks like a lot but none of it takes very long daily. We concentrate mainly on math, handwriting and phonics.